3 Tips to Crafting Great Interview QuestionsNov 10, 2020
Expedition HR does not recruit/headhunt for our clients. What we do is help our clients gain the important knowledge to queue them up to make the best hires. A key piece we help with is crafting effective (and legal!) interview questions. Having buttoned up interview questions ensures the interview process is efficient and helps to easily identify the best candidate for the role!
In this blog post, I will share 3 tips to creating great interview questions.
Direct Link to Essential Duties: You want your interview questions to be directly related to the essential duties of the role. What do I mean when I refer to “essential duties?” Essential duties of a role are outlined on the job description and are fundamental to the role. These are the duties which the incumbent will spend 90% of their time and are markers on which you will base their performance. For example, if submitting payroll bi-weekly is an essential duty of the role, a question you could ask is – Tell me about your experience processing payroll at a past employer.
Consistency! When interviewing for one role, remember to ask the same core questions to all candidates. Some clarifying questions are fine, but keep the core questions consistent. Why? If the unselected candidate wants to know why they were not hired, you may struggle with the basis for the reason because you were inconsistent with the questions you asked.
Avoid Y/N Responses: When creating interview questions, avoid questions which result in Yes/No answers. Do this by leaning towards “Tell me about a time…” or “Please share an experience when you…” type of questions instead of simply asking - “Do you have payroll experience?” You will receive more robust answers and glean better insights about the person’s qualifications for the role.
Want a free job description template? Click here!
Curious How to Work With Us?
Join the Guiding HR Subscription to receive comprehensive and affordable Human Resources Support. The subscription is ideal for for small businesses and non-profit organizations.
As a subscriber, you...
- Receive HR Director-level support in your business for a fraction of the cost to hire a full time HR employee
- Have the support and knowledge to handle difficult employee situations
- Know exactly what phrasing to use for tough conversations with your employees
- Have extra time in your day because you have immediate access to the right HR forms, checklists, and tools (no more Googling HR forms!)
- Have expert termination support when those needs arise
- Know how to clearly outline expectations for your employees - resulting in better performance and higher productivity
- Know which employment laws apply to your business and how to stay compliant
- Have peace of mind